Friday, August 28, 2009

Project startup

It's been a busy ~24 hours, I've just started a new big C++ project using the open source 3d engine Ogre. Ogre is completely new to me and a fresh start to my game development goals. Earlier I was using a low cost middleware engine called 3impact, but since a few days ago the developers stated that future development for the public version had been suspended (link). At the same time as I felt very disappointed it was also the kick I needed to move on to something more suitable. Not to say that it was a bad engine in any way, it did very good on the features it provided but it just wasn't suited to make AAA games.

Now I'm really confident that Ogre will fill in the gaps that 3impact was unable to handle, this is what I have accomplished in the last couple of days:

Setting up Ogre rendering together with PhysX® (Nvidia®) for physics, integrated my own framework that I will continue to expand and add features to while I develop games!


Currently I also have a test-application that uses my framework, but does nothing but initializes a empty rendering window. So the next thing to do is to importing a few models and make them interact with each other.



No comments:

Post a Comment