Friday, March 9, 2012

Noise Tool part 1

So, basically, I got a bit carried away with LibNoise when I discovered it's capabilities. Using a 3rd party GUI solution called Squid (not released yet, see: http://www.ionstar.org/), I just kept adding features to my tool. It's now completely graphical, you simply drag n drop the modules you want to generate noise with (as opposed to before when I had to make changes to the code to edit the result). Once placed, you can hook up different modules with lines to "chain link" them together to get just the result your looking for. By changing a parameter either by entering a value or dragging a slider for example, the image changes immediately making it straightforward to tweak the result in an intuitive manner.
It's not a completely finished tool, you can't save and load hierarchies or the final image just yet (Won't be hard though), also the lines connecting the modules are drawn underneath the windows which is just a minor annoyance. And some parameters doesn't show up yet in some modules. But all in all, the functionality is there and I'm going to enjoy using this tool for my procedural generation needs in future projects.


No comments:

Post a Comment